Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara – Zapopan, Mexico
Internship & Residency
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School – Newark, NJ
Dr. Alan Helfman has more than 25 years of experience practicing urology. During the duration of his practice, he has honed his skills in numerous urologic procedures, including prostatectomy (prostate removal by surgery, laser or minimally invasive procedures), kidney stones, bladder cancer, vasectomy, endoscopy and many other urological conditions.
Dr. Helfman completed his medical training at the Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara after finishing his undergraduate studies at the State University of New York at Buffalo where he obtained bachelor’s degree in biology and mathematics. He subsequently obtained a master’s degree from Roswell Park Memorial Cancer Institute. He completed his surgical and urological residency at the Rutgers New Jersey Medical School and brought his urological practice to Essex County in 1988.
Dr. Helfman is past president of Newark Beth Israel Medical Center and has been a member of the Board of Trustees for both the Saint Barnabas Healthcare System and Newark Beth Israel Medical Center. He currently serves as Chairman of the Newark Beth Israel Physician Hospital Association.
Dr. Helfman has co-authored numerous journal articles on prostate cancer therapy and received the Gloria Gallo Award for cancer research in 2001. In 2007, he was voted a New Jersey Top Doctor and has been named a Millburn-Short Hills Magazine Top Doctor in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.
- American Urology Association
- American Medical Association
- Medical Society of New Jersey
Dr. Helfman has co-authored numerous journal articles on prostate cancer therapy.
- Gloria Gallo Award, Cancer Research (2001)
- New Jersey Top Doctor (2007)
- Top Doctor, Millburn-Short Hills Magazine (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Newark Beth Israel Medical Center
- Saint Barnabas Medical Center
- The Stone Center of New Jersey
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of NJ
- Emblem Health
- Empire Blue Cross HMO (Contiguous County only)
- Empire Blue Cross PPO
- HealthNet Federal
- Railroad Medicare
- UnitedHealthcare (excluding Medicare Plans)
- US Family Health