Domenico Savatta, MD
Dr. Domenico Savatta is a leader in robotic surgery. He has performed over 1500 da Vinci® robotic prostatectomies and over 2200 robotic operations. In fact, Dr. Savatta was the first da Vinci® urologic robotic instructor in the Northeast.
During his residency, he trained under the direction of several leaders in the field of urologic oncology, endourology, reconstructive urology and prosthetic urology. He has participated in research involving minimally invasive ways to ablate renal tissue, including new laparoscopic techniques and high intensity focused ultrasound ablation of kidneys. He has also participated in research using gene therapy to treat prostate cancer.
Dr. Savatta has published papers with national leaders describing how to perform robotic inguinal hernia surgery during robotic prostatectomy and robotic partial nephrectomy for kidney cancer. Dr. Savatta’s goal is to provide the most compassionate and informative care while preserving and maximizing a patient’s quality of life.
Dr. Savatta is a member of the American Urological Association and the Endourological Society and is also a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Some of his accomplishments include:
- Live da Vinci® robotic prostatectomy for the American Urological Association national meeting at the Intuitive Surgical exhibit
- Live da Vinci® robotic radical nephrectomy for kidney cancer for the American Urological Association national meeting at the Intuitive Surgical exhibit, and was the first live operation of this type
- Newark Beth Israel robotic surgery program
- First da Vinci® prostatectomy in the Morris/Essex/Union counties area
- First robotic cystectomy in New Jersey
- First robotic partial nephrectomy in New Jersey
Areas of Specialty and Interest
- da Vinci® robotic prostatectomy
- Men’s health
- Minimally invasive robotic and laparoscopic urology
- Reconstructive urology, including the creation of bladder replacements and continent urinary diversions
- Robotic cystectomy
- Robotic nephrectomy
- Robotic pyeloplasty
- Sexual dysfunction
- Stone disease and treatment
- Urologic oncology, including the surgical treatment of testicular cancer
- The Cooper Union for Advancement of Science and Art––undergraduate degree
- Stony Brook University School of Medicine––medical degree
- Indiana University School of Medicine––residency in urology
- Newark Beth Israel Medical Center
- Overlook Medical Center
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital––Rahway
- Saint Barnabas Medical Center
- Saint Clare’s Medical Center
- Trinitas Regional Medical Center